Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sites around Kemmerer

Yesterday, I spent the day riding around and seeing some the "sights" around Kemmerer.  Its hard to really see everything right now due to the large amounts of snow on the ground.  Here are some pictures to go with these sites! Oh, and some good news, Marc will be switching hitches. We did not expect this, but we are very excited because he will not work Thanksgiving or Christmas now!! Hooray! So to anyone planning on visiting (and we LOVE visitors) if you wanted to come when Marc's off, make sure to switch the weeks. Also, one more thing regarding his work schedule he will work Thursday-Wednesday night. This is how it used to be when he worked on the rigs, so we were happy with this as well! 

First of all here is a picture of the Shute Creek Plant, Marc's new workplace.  It is kinda off in the distance but it is really big.  I would try to explain how things work there, but that is definitely an answer that will have to come from my hubby.

Next, this is our townhouse.  The snow is so high because the plows push it to the side when they pass. My poor Winston is going to get lost in this mound and probably Beau!  On a better note, Blake and Kayla I think there will be some snow for y'all to play in :)  There is a set of sliding glass doors to exit out the side of the house and the snow is not even to the bottom of those.   Keep in mind, that all the houses here look small but they have basements, Marc and I were really surprised when we looked last trip. The house in on a dead end road and very close to the Middle School and Recreation "Rec" Center.  I think the kids will really enjoy riding there bikes in this new neighborhood.  Many of the Exxon salary employees company trucks and there are two on our new street so that's nice too.

If you google Kemmerer, the two main interest points are the coal mine and the original JCPenny.  Below is a picture of both of them.  I went inside the JCPenny Friday and it is small (smaller than Natchez!) but its very nice and the service was wonderful!  One of the guys at the plant told Marc they were having a big sale, so of course I had to check it out!! So, B and K I got y'all so more "wintry" clothes that y'all will need up here.

 
This is the Kemmerer coal mine owned by Chevron.  A large majority of the town is employed here.  I don't know much about mining either but we will learn.  When we flew into Salt Lake we passed over one of the largest copper mines and that was really fascinating. 

A few more attractions include the 9-hole golf course and the local movie theatre.  These pictures are below, but I do apologize that you can't see much of the golf course.  The movie theatre offers one movie only on weekends.  When talking to locals they usually load up and drive to Evanston (30 min) to see a movie and go to Wal-Mart all in one. Kayla and I enjoy driving to town now so I see many of these trips in our future. And some more great news, Evanston has a SONIC!!!

 
I know these are not the best pictures, I took them with my phone while driving, but maybe I can get my camera out Monday to take some more.  I hope to take some of the school, Rec Center and a few more things.  Hope everyone is doing well, Miss you all!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you found Sonic!!!! Yes I can see you and Kayla enjoying going to the grocery store! Everything looks wonderful. Your boys are enjoying sunning on the patio. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love talking to you and Marc today. Please get the dates so Mom and I can make plans. Winston and Beau want to stay with mops and pops till the summer. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you found a Sonic! I don't know what you would do without that! ha ha! I was looking the other day at flights out there sometime this summer so maybe I can work that out. I love that Marc is driving 1 a car and 2 a FORD! Love it! Miss y'all so much! See you this weekend huh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope my boys are having fun! Tell them I miss them and cant wait to seee them. They will have a new home soon!

    Mel, yes you will see us this weekend!We fly in late friday night. He is loving that car too! :)

    ReplyDelete